- 2 ounces softened organic cream cheese (a quarter of an 8 oz package)
- 2 tablespoons organic, unbleached sugar
- 4 ounces organic sour cream (one half of an 8 oz container)
- 1 organic egg white
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of salt
- ¾ cup organic, unbleached sugar
- 2 organic eggs
- ½ of a 15-ounce can pumpkin
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease one regular sized bread loaf pan.
Use an electric mixer to beat together the cream cheese and the 2 tablespoons sugar until well blended. Add the sour cream and egg white and continue to beat until blended, scraping down the sides frequently. Scrape this mixture into a small bowl and place in refrigerator.
In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, spice, and salt; set aside.
In the same mixing bowl, combine the sugar, remaining eggs, pumpkin, oil, and applesauce. Beat until well combined. In small amounts, add in the flour mixture, beating until combined.
Pour half of the pumpkin batter into the bread pan. Spoon the cream cheese mixture down the center of the batter then top with the remaining pumpkin batter.
Bake for an hour or longer, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.