Follow our tips for washing your cashmere with care and making it last!
A true cashmere sweater can be one of the best essentials in your eco-fabulous wardrobe. This luxurious fabric comes from combing out the under-hairs of Kashmir goats that are now raised around the world. Because the fabric is so long-lasting it truly is a great eco-investment, with proper care. But you don’t need to make washing your favorite sweater stressful. Follow our tips for washing your cashmere with care and making it last!
- Flip the item inside out and focus on cleaning parts that have odor buildup, such as the underarms.
- In a clean, chemical-free sink, combine cool water with a wool or cashmere shampoo
- Place your cashmere in the basin and use your hands to gently agitate the water and detergent
- Soak the item for at least thirty minutes- some color loss is normal so don’t panic if the water changes color.
- Remove from the sink and rinse well with room temperature water until the water runs clear. This will probably take 2 to 3 rinses in a basin full of clean water.
- Lay flat on a clean towel and press the water out with another dry towel until it’s damp-to-dry. Do not rub the cashmere.
- Place the damp item on a flat rack for further drying