This is delicious to enjoy in the mornings, over a bowl of organic vanilla ice cream or jar it up with a recipe card as a great home-made holiday gift.
- 4 cups whole oats (use old fashioned, not instant)
- 2 cups puffed or cluster-type cereal
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- ½ cup toasted almond slivers
- Handful of sweetened coconut flakes (add ¼ cup brown sugar if using unsweetened)
- ½ cup organic pineapple juice
- ½ cup organic apple juice
- ½ cup organic prune juice
- Juice from ½ orange
- 1 T ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg, ginger, cloves, allspice and cardamom
- Zest from one lemon or orange
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Handful each; dried blueberries, cranberries, currants, green raisins
- OPTIONAL: add salted peanuts for a salty mix
Preheat oven to 325°.
Combine the juices, spices and coconut oil in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer until reduced by half. This should take about 20 minutes.
While this simmers, combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
Remove juice mixture from heat and allow to set for 3-5 minutes.
Add honey and vanilla.
Toss sweetened warm juice mixture with the oats mixture.
Mist 2 cookie sheets with olive oil.
Spread mixture onto cookie sheets in a thin, even layer.
For variety, try adding salted peanuts to one pan.
Bake at 325° for 20-30 minutes, stirring once or twice, until golden and crunchy.
Cool slightly, then stir in dried fruit.
Store granola in an airtight container like a zip lock bag or large ball jar.