Chilled Mexican Pasta Salad
This is a hearty and super tasty pasta salad! Because of the black beans and whole grain pasta it's also a good source of fiber.
As always, be sure to use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- 1 pound of whole grain pasta - a rotini, farfalle, or penne works well
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- [optional] 1 rotisserie chicken - shredded
- 1 (or 2) cans black beans - drained and rinsed [if foregoing the chicken, add the second can of beans]
- 3 medium tomatoes - diced
- 1 red or orange bell pepper - diced
- 2 cups corn kernels - quickly blanched if fresh and thawed if frozen
- 2 carrots - cut thinly in both directions
- 4 scallions - finely chopped
- ˝ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 jalapeno chilies - seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- juice of two limes
- 1 large bunch of cilantro
- 2 teaspoons salt
- additional salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado - cubed for topping
Cook the pasta according to the package. Rinse in cold water, drain well and transfer to a large bowl. Toss the pasta with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. This will prevent the pasta from absorbing too much of the dressing later.
Toss in the chicken (optional), black beans, tomatoes, corn, carrots and scallions.
In a food processor, pulse the olive oil, mustard, jalapenos, cumin, lime juice, cilantro and salt until well blended. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
Pour the dressing into the salad and toss to coat. Set in the refrigerator and allow the salad to chill and the flavors to blend for at least 2-4 hours.
Also on The Organic Center's Mission Organic Made Easy