Have A Green Father's Day!
This father's day gift the earth while you celebrate with your father. Holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries not only leave a dent in your wallet but the gift wrap alone can take a toll on the earth's precious resources. Instead of creating a mountain of tissue paper, protect the mountains with these helpful tips.
Let the Trees Breathe!
1. Choose recycled paper to limit destruction of virgin trees
2. Look for "PCF" logo (made without chlorine bleaching for the paper)
3. Select paper printed with soy or vegetable based inks
4. Support conservation groups that sell cards to support their cause (like the National Wildlife Foundation and Sierra Club)
5. Look for cards made out of Wildflower Seeds so they can be replanted!
Don't Gift Wrap... Green Wrap!
1. Get creative with packing use old maps, calendars, or even the sunday comics
2. Choose sustainable fibers such as kozo (bark from fast growing Thai mulberry trees)
3. For bows choose renewable raffia and hemp twine from the crafts store or old ribbons from past presents
4. Rethink bags and boxes, instead use a reusable shopping bag that can serve multiple purposes
5. If you still want the wrapping paper look for brands made from 100% recycled material
Re-think the Tie!
Put down that purple paisley tie or fishing rod and instead treat your dad to undivided you time. One of the greatest gifts we can give each other is time spent together. So take your dad fishing or to a ballgame. Or simply cook a fresh meal together. That alone can be a wonderful, priceless gift.